Well, I did it, it has taken over 2 years, but I mustered up the courage and got back on the motorcycle today. It was supposed to be just into town to get a newspaper, but of course Ed couldn't let me off that easy, so away we went. He says we only went 70 miles, but when you are on 2 lane curvy roads, it takes a while to go that far. We rode for about 2-3 hours with only one stop in the big town of Booneville. We stopped and looked at some possible vehicles for me and then got something to drink.
I did pretty well, although I have to admit there was a huge lump in my throat for just about the entire time. A few times I got pretty queasy, but I toughed it out and made it home. The times that were the hardest were when we were going very slow, taking off from stop signs, things like that. Or when Ed would get to going too fast. Just brought back too many memories.
A quick recap of the events that traumatized me. Father's Day weekend 2007, we went on a ride with 3 other couples to Eureka Springs. We had only been gone about an hour, when we had a blowout doing 70 miles an hour. The hand of God (and an angel named Wilma) were with us and Ed was able to keep the bike up and get it stopped. I haven't been that scared in a very long time and hope I am not again for even longer. We had to wait for a tow truck to come and get us, take us back to Fort Smith, fix the tire and get back on the road. Now, the entire time we were riding in the truck, I was praying they wouldn't be able to fix the tire and wheel and we would just be able to get in the Tahoe and go on to Eureka Springs. But no, they fixed it and YES I got back on.
Things were going fine, we met up with our friends, had fun and the next morning after breakfast, started our trip back home. We stopped to fill up with gas and get drinks and as we were pulling out of the parking lot, barely moving, Ed had to make a sudden stop, the front tire was in some gravel and the next thing we knew, we were on the ground. The bike just fell over!! Our friends helped us get the bike off of us and the ladies took me inside to the rest room. My elbow was bloody, so we got stuff and cleaned it as best as we could. I had some large bandages in my bag, so we put one on and YES I got back on the bike!! We had about a 3 hour ride home and less than halfway I was in incredible pain. My elbow was throbbing and every bump in the road only made it worse. When we were about 30 minutes out, I actually asked Ed to drop me off somewhere, go get the Tahoe and come back for me. I just couldn't take the bike anymore. But make it I did, at least to our friends house in Ft. Smith. Ed did come back home, get the car and some clean clothes for me and by then I was ready to go to the ER. Now I hate going to the Dr., so if I am asking to be taken to the ER, you better know I am hurting. After a ridiculously long wait, the very young, very inexperienced ER Doc, says, nothing is broken. Mind you, I couldn't straighten out my arm, turn it, nothing, but he says no break. When I told him how much pain I was in, he took another look and finally saw the break!! Of course the whole time, Ed is saying, it's not broken, cause he feels so bad and doesn't want to feel responsible for breaking me. But I knew it was broken. Thank goodness I stood my ground and made him take a second look.
Wow, didn't mean for that to be so long!! Anyway, I had not been back on the bike since then, cause honestly I have felt that God was trying to tell me something. He gave me a good scare on Saturday with the blowout, when we should have been seriously hurt and I didn't listen. I got back on the bike. So.... Sunday, when we are barely moving, we simply fall over and I break my elbow!! I have just felt like I was supposed to stay off the bike. So for 2 years I have. Maybe it was a mistake to get back on today. Only time will tell. I have to say, most of the time I really enjoy riding. I don't like to go fast, just a nice leisurely ride. If Ed will honor my wishes and ride safely while I am on there, I guess I am ready to start riding again.
At least till the next time..........
No comments:
Post a Comment