Tuesday, September 15, 2009

51

Wow, I am 51 years old today.

I find that shocking, since I don't feel 51 years old.

But I am.

51 years ago today my mother, who was only 17, gave birth to me. My father, who was only 19, was thousands of miles away on a Navy ship and wouldn't see me in person until I was 5 months old. Even when I almost died when I was 3 months old, they couldn't get him home to see me.

My wonderful Aunt Mary likes to tell the story of being at the hospital with my Mom while she was in labor and being relegated to the waiting room with the other "Dads". She was able to go in with my Mom for a while and didn't think Mom was getting enough attention because Mom wasn't making any noise or complaining. Aunt Mary told her she needed to yell out to get the nurses to come and check on her. Mom said "Mary, I didn't yell when I got this way and I am not going to yell now". That's my mom for you. Aunt Mary was who the nurse came out and told " you have a little girl". I love her very much.

I am missing my Mom so much today. We were at the cemetery yesterday for Uncle Don's funeral, the same one she is buried in. In fact he is just a few spots away from Mom. It is just so hard to believe she has been gone almost 7 years now. 7 years ago today I came to Arkansas for the first time to see my new home. Ed closed on our house by himself on Friday the 13th and I came here with Kaci on Sunday the 15th to see it. I had only seen it once before we bought it. My Aunt Phyllis stayed at the hospital with Mom so I could come here for one night. While this house isn't what I originally was looking for, as it turns out, it is exactly what I needed.

Happy Birthday to me! My wish is for many, many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment