Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye 2009

I must say I am not going to miss 2009. While it started off well, we spent New Years with Alissa and Brek in Boston, it pretty much went downhill from there. I managed to work 4 days of the New Year and then the bottom fell out. I became sick at work on the 4th day and pretty much lost the rest of January and almost all of February. We thought it was just a stomach virus, but after being very sick all weekend and going to the Dr. on Monday, blood work showed I had the H Pylori bacteria. Now I don't know about you, but I had never heard of this particular bacteria before. All I knew was that I was extremely nauseated and wanted some relief. 2 weeks and 2 antibiotics later, same song, different verse. Back to the Dr., the bacteria appears to be gone, but I am still sick and losing weight. 5 pounds in 2 weeks, creeping towards a total weight loss of 20 pounds.

So, we began testing. I had so many tests in one week! I can't even remember them all. It was finally determined that my gall bladder had ceased functioning! No pain, no stones, just decided it was tired of working. So.... on February 19th, I had my very first surgery ever. Made it 50 years, but finally had to do it. Thankfully it wasn't a really big one and the recovery was pretty quick. It had to be, because I wasn't going to miss my trip to Cali with my girls for Alissa's 30th birthday! I wasn't at full strength, but I went. Thank goodness for Kaci, she was a lifesaver on more than one occasion. I think she will definitely be the child who cares for me in my old age, which some days seems much closer than I would like.

But, things began to turn around, I felt better, left my job, which I totally blame for the stress that I think led to my illness starting and started looking for something else to occupy my time. I found blogging! Started reading them and decided I wanted to do that too. Now, mine isn't as interesting as many I read, but for me it is more a way to chronicle what is going on in my life. The hardest part is censoring myself and not posting things about others that they don't want posted. I would love to be able to write about what is going on in my girls lives and how that affects mine, but out of respect for them, I don't. I might write something that is public knowledge and that they have already talked about, but not the more personal things. After all this is my blog about me. But they are such a part of who I am, it is hard not to discuss them here. Guess I will just have to find ways to do it without compromising their privacy.

Things were going pretty well until October. My in laws began to have health problems and that meant we needed to help them. We took turns staying with them, cooking, cleaning and taking them to Dr.s appointments. Thankfully they are doing much better, still not 100% but so much better.

Another first for me, my first root canal. Unfortunately it will not be completed in 2009 and will carry over to the New Year. Have I mentioned I hate going to the dentist? Well I do. Hate it with a passion. Didn't even go for the first time until I was 21. I had been thru 27 hours of labor and was still terrified to sit in that dentist's chair. And all I needed was a simple filling. I had a very good dentist in Waxahachie, Dr. DeHay. I really liked him, he is very good as dentists go. Haven't found anyone who quite measures up to him here in Arkansas.

I know 2010 is going to be a life changing year for my family. I am so excited to see all this new year will bring. My only wish is for good health. Because it is so very true, if you have your health, you have everything.

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment