Thursday, November 5, 2009

PaPa


My father-in-law isn't doing well. He had surgery a week ago to remove the hardware from his previous back surgery and is still having intense pain. Pain that morphine doesn't seem to be touching. He has been to the ER twice now, once by ambulance and is currently in the hospital. We are going to Tulsa as soon as Ed can tie up some things at work. I am so worried about MaMa (my MIL). She has been taking care of him for months now as well as taking care of her sister Gladys. With the funeral for Gladys this week and PaPa's issues, I know she is wearing down. Both physically and emotionally. Hopefully she will allow us to take over and do somethings for them both and take care of herself. You see it so often, a spouse or family member becomes ill and the caretaker ends up in as bad if not worse shape than the person they are caring for. I just don't want to see this happen to MaMa.
PaPa, MaMa and Pa.


It is so hard to watch the people you love age and become frail. I have known my in-laws since I was 13 years old (they didn't become my in-laws until I was 18) and it is just so hard to see the way they have aged. They were really very young when I first met them. Only in their early 30's. Now they are in their early 70's. I am so thankful for all the years I have known them and hope to have them around for many more. I know how truly blessed I am to have them as my in-laws. Not everyone has this kind of relationship with with their spouse's family and I know how fortunate I am. So, we will go to them and do for them what they will allow us to do. Hopefully we will be able to offer some comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment