Friday, January 25, 2013

A good man

A good man left this world Wednesday night.

He was my Uncle Clayton.

He was a father to me for the first five months of my life, until my own father came home from overseas. My Dad was in the Navy, so Mom and I lived with Aunt Mary and Uncle Clayton until Daddy came home. Aunt Mary sat out in the waiting room with all the Dads, waiting for me to be born, since my own father was on a ship in the middle of the ocean, thousands of miles away.

Uncle Clayton loved to tell the story of how he would get me to eat liver when I was very anemic by offering me a sip of tea and then putting a spoon full of the nasty stuff in my mouth. Truth be told, it probably kept me out of the hospital. But I still hate liver.

Uncle Clayton was 92 years old and until he had a stroke a few months ago, he still drove, fished and gardened. I think when he couldn't do those things anymore, life just wasn't going to be much fun. And while I am sure he didn't want to leave my Aunt Mary or his children and grandchildren, it was time for him to leave this world and go on to a place where the fish are always biting and the gardens grow year round.

I know my Mom and many others were there to welcome him when he went to his Heavenly home. I am sure it was a joyous reunion, one I hope we will all experience some day.

Goodbye Uncle Clayton, we will see you again one day.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment